Monday, July 30, 2007

sunday supper: the steak is on sale



Fresh Direct had a special on NY Strip steak, and lord knows I can't resist a cheap steak. My childhood was full of overdone strip steaks at the local Ponderosa, and I even liked those, given enough A1 to mask the rubbery flavor. I simply salted, peppered and pan-fried these steaks for a couple of minutes on each side and although they ended up a little more done than the medium rare I generally prefer, they were flavorful enough to forgo the steak sauce. I did top them with a dollop of some tarragon herb butter which I haphazardly threw together when I realized that I had some leftover fresh tarragon from something I made last week. I totally don't remember what.



The accompaniment to the steak was a salad of baby red potatoes, string beans, and red onion. I blanched the vegetables until tender, sliced the onion really fine, and tossed it all with red wine vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper. Since I also had some extra chopped parsley and tarragon from the herb butter, I threw that in as well. This salad does require a lot of flavoring, so be prepared to lay on the vinegar. It's even better cold, once the red onions have had some time to really marinate. Simplicity.



There was supposed to be a desert of raspberry souffle, but J-Cat came home with a bag of donuts from the Donut Pub and I was happy to just stuff those instead.

No comments: