Wednesday, February 18, 2009

omg stop it with the meyer lemons



Okay, this is it. I swear. This is the last of my Meyer lemon desserts for the season. Or, at least, it's the last of the ones I'm going to blog about unless I change the title of this blog to *the meyer lemonfruit*

I just can't resist, and as the previous two were tarts, I only felt it fair that pies get some representation. Because pies are truly my first love. And this one is just as simple as the rest. Custardy, tangy, bright and sweet, the combination of buttermilk, eggs, and Meyer lemons strikes a perfect balance. If I am going to judge the deliciousness of a round dessert based on the size of the slice missing at the end of the first night, this one may be the winner. I was shocked the next day when I realized that J-Cat and I ate almost half of the pie in one sitting. Ouch. Recipe after the jump:



LEMON BUTTERMILK PIE

4 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup butter, melted
grated peel of 1 lemon
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 recipe pie crust, for a 9-inch single crust pie

In a large mixing bowl beat eggs and sugar until light and lemon-colored. Beat in flour, then buttermilk, melted butter, lemon peel, lemon juice, and vanilla. Pour mixture into pie shell. Bake in a 375° oven for 45-50 minutes, or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on rack.

No comments: