Wednesday, April 15, 2009

recipe for passover: mama j-cat's matzo lasagna



I know that Passover is just about over, but I'm pretty sure it's impossible to not have some leftover matzo. So why not do something fun and strange with it? This Matzo Lasagna is a recipe from J-Cat's mom. I first had it a couple of years ago at his sister's seder, and I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. So I decided to get the recipe and make it for J-Cat, who is a sucker for nostalgic foods that he ate growing up. The secret ingredient that really makes this lasagna sing is wine. The recipe doesn't specify what kind of wine, but I thought to myself that back in the day when it was probably written, the only kind of kosher for Passover wine most people could get their hands on was Manischewitz, that classic, super sweet concord grape wine. These days there are many more choices of kosher wines with much subtler flavors, so I went with a Riesling, which has a fruity sweetness that approximates Manischewitz without knocking you over the head with it. Recipe after the jump:



MAMA J-CAT'S PASSOVER MATZO LASAGNA
NOTE: This recipe makes a giant pan appropriate for a large seder. I halved the recipe for the two of us and had plenty left over for the next day.

6 large onions, chopped
6 to 8 matzohs
3 to 4 lbs chopped meat
2 to 3 can tomato mushroom sauce
6 eggs
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup wine
garlic, oregano and parsley to taste
1/2 cup oil

Saute the onions in oil until tender. Add meat and cook until red color of the meat disappears. Add sauce, salt, pepper,garlic, oregano, and parsley to taste.

In separate bowl beat the eggs and wine. Grease foil Lasagna pan. Dip matzoh in egg wine mixture and line the pan. Add 1/3 of the meat mixture. Place matzah dipped in wine on top. Repeat layers ending with matzah on top. Pour remaing egg wine mixture over top. Cover with foil and bake in preheated 375 degree oven for 1/2 hour.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely delicious! Just made this for dinner....my husband looked at it and was worried it would be too dry because of the matzo but then went on to eat nearly half of it!
Will definitely be making again