Thursday, February 16, 2012

chicken paprikash

"Waiter, there is too much pepper in my paprikash."



"But I would be proud to partake of your pecan pie."

I didn't even know what paprikash was when I first saw that movie. I know what it is now, but for some reason had never made it until recently when I crashed dinner at Brother #1's place and Pam gave me a big ole plate of it. I was inspired to get that in my belly again ASAP without having to invade a sibling's home. I should really get HER recipe because it was freaking awesome, but I think this one is not bad at all. Winter comfort and egg noodles that's easy enough to make on a weeknight after a long, frustrating, irritating day at work. What? I'm not having a great day, and I need a big bowl of this immediately. Recipe after the jump:



CHICKEN PAPRIKASH

2 pounds of chicken legs, separated into drumsticks and thighs
Kosher salt and fresh black pepper
2 tbsp unsalted butter
2 large onions, sliced lengthwise
2 tbsp sweet Hungarian paprika
1 teaspoon hot paprika
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup sour cream

Salt and pepper the chicken pieces. Melt the butter in a medium saute pan over medium heat. Place the chicken pieces in the hot butter skin side down and sear until browned, about 4-5 minutes. Turn and sear the other side an additional 2-3 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pan and set on paper towels to drain some of the fat.

Add the sliced onions to the pan and saute until softened and lightly brown, about 8 minutes. Add the paprika to the onions and stir to distribute. Add the chicken broth and scrape the bottom of the pan for any brown bits. Add the chicken pieces back in the pan among the bed of onions. Bring to a low simmer, then cover and cook for 25 minutes-1 hr, depending how soft you'd like the meat.

Remove the chicken from the pan to a bowl. Add the sour cream to the pan and stir into the onions and sauce. Return the chicken to the pan to reheat if the sour cream cooled the sauce down. Serve hot over egg noodles or rice.

4 comments:

John said...

Do you want to remove the chicken skin from the pieces before you put them back in the pot the final time? Or will it cook down?

John said...

Do you remove the skins from the chicken before you put them back in the final time or will they cook down?

ramya said...

I'm drooling over this.....love everything about the dish!

faycat said...

John, I don't remove the skins because I actually like chicken skin, they have a ton of flavor, but generally they do end up getting detached after the chicken has cooked until soft, so if you're averse to loose chicken skin you can certainly remove it easily.