Friday, September 07, 2007

health tackle



If you eat a healthy dinner, you can have a decadent dessert, right? After my successful vanilla ice cream run this weekend, I decided that we needed the proper vehicle for that ice cream. In keeping with my fruit pie theme for the summer, I rang out the season with another classic - Blackberry Pie.



The method is the same here as with every fruit pie I've made. Macerate in sugar, dump in a pie shell, bake. Total no-brainer.



I probably should have made a lattice crust for some variety, but I was engrossed in a marathon of The Closer and didn't want to spend too much time watching from the kitchen.


Recipe after the jump:

Blackberry Pie

Ingredients
1 pie crust recipe for a 2-crust, 9-inch pie
5 cups blackberries, picked over and cleaned
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
2 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp salt
3 tbsp quick-cooking tapioca
2 tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes

Preparation
Preheat oven to 450º. Combine the berries, sugar, flour, lemon juice, and tapioca in a large bowl and set aside for 15-20 minutes while you prepare the crust. Line a 9-inch pie plate with the bottom crust and fill with the berry mixture. Dot the top of the berry mixture with the butter cubes. Cover with top crust, crimp edges and cut vents in the top. Place in preheated oven for 15 minutes, then lower heat to 350º and bake an additional 30-35 minutes until crust is browned and juices are bubbling. Allow to cool well before serving.

1 comment:

Leah said...

I've heard of the wonders of your pies, and the photos don't lie, I know! Wow. We'll be picking apples soon, and I'd love to try something with blackberries and apples both...