Tuesday, September 18, 2007

never enough pie

At least, not in my world. I mean, it's endless, isn't it? The possibilities of what can be made into pie. Any fruit you can imagine, creamy stuff, puddings of all flavors, and don't forget the world of savory pies, which I fully intend to explore as the weather continues to cool off. The other night I returned to an old favorite of mine, perhaps my number one most favorite fruit pie recipe of all time - Sour Cream Apple Pie.



What I love about this pie is that it has it's own built-in creaminess from the sour cream that makes whipped cream or ice cream totally unecessary, plus this pie is so delicious cold the next day, straight out of the fridge. I don't think I can honestly say the same about any of the other fruit pies I've made, and I actually prefer this pie cold to warm. Plus, the walnuts. I love anything with nuts. (Dirty!)



I originally got this recipe out of the classic Silver Palate Cookbook, which Shane gave me many Christmases ago. It may be the oldest real cookbook I own, not counting my mom's old books that she recently gave to me. It looks it's age, as I've had it since before I ever had a nifty cookbook stand. There are many stains from my repeated preparations of this pie and my favorite pork chop recipe.



Nowadays, I've made the pie so many times that I don't have to refer to the book, and as I'm wont to do, I've adjusted little details here and there. Recipe after the jump:

Sour Cream Apple Pie
Adapted from The Silver Palate Cookbook

Ingredients
1 recipe basic pie crust for a 2 crust 9-inch deep dish pie

For the pie filling:
5-6 granny smith apples
2/3 cup reduced fat sour cream
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg, beaten
3 tbsp all-purpose flour

For the topping:
1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts
3 tbsp dark brown sugar
3 tbsp granulated sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground clove

Preparation
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Peel and slice apples very thinly and set aside in a large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together sour cream, sugar, vanilla, egg, and flour. Pour the mixture over the sliced apples and toss to coat well. Line the pie plate with the bottom crust and fill with apple mixture. In another small bowl, combine the topping ingredients, then sprinkle evenly over the top of the apples. Place the top crust (I usually do a lattice for this pie when I'm not lazy, so you can see the lovely walnut topping.) Bake in the preheated oven for 50-55 minutes until crust is golden brown. Allow to cool completely before serving.

No comments: