Tuesday, September 18, 2007

is this really healthy?



Seeing as how I got the recipe from an episode of "Healthy Appetite", I figure it's supposed to be, but the dressing is so lovely and creamy it certainly doesn't seem like it. My guess is that it is truly healthy, but only if you don't eat a whole vat of it. Like we did...

I admit I was surprised at how much I liked this recipe, not because of the salad ingredients - I obsessively love black eyed peas, so I'll try just about any recipe - but because I was somewhat wary of a healthy version of buttermilk dressing. But this was totally satisfying and the apple cider vinegar gave the dressing a wonderful acidic tang. I think lemon juice would work just as well. Granted I had to put my little spin on the recipe, but it was mostly because I had some reduced fat sour cream left over from that pie so I threw some in for some extra creaminess. It was great, but I think it would still be great without it. Recipe after the jump:



Black-Eyed Pea Salad with Buttermilk Dressing
Adapted from "Healthy Appetite with Ellie Krieger"

Ingredients
For the Salad:
2 15-ounce cans black eyed peas, rinsed and drained -OR- 1/2 lb dried black-eyed peas, soaked overnight, and boiled until tender, approx. 1 hour
1/2 cup diced red onion
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 cup blanched haricot verts, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
4 tbsp chopped fresh chives
4 cups chopped baby spinach
1 cup chopped butter lettuce

For the dressing:
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2/3 cup low-fat buttermilk
3 tbsp mayonnaise
3 tbsp reduced fat sour cream
1 1/2 tbsp spicy brown mustard
3 splashes tabasco sauce, to taste
Salt and pepper, to taste

Preparation
In a large salad bowl, combine all salad ingredients. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients, then pour over salad and toss well. I did end up with a lot of dressing and did not use the whole amount, but I do tend to err on the side of less dressing than most people.

No comments: