Tuesday, October 09, 2007

sunday supper: oktoberfest



What could be better than sausage? Sausage and sauerkraut! In honor of both Oktoberfest and of the premiere of "The Next Iron Chef", for Sunday supper I made some brats and sauerkraut from a recipe by Michael Symon, one of the contestants on the aforementioned awesome new series. This is a recipe from way back in the day, from a show called "Melting Pot". Each day of the week focused on a different ethnic food with different chef hosts. I believe it was Tuesdays that focused on Eastern European food, and was hosted by Symon and one of my personal favorites, Wayne Harley Brachman.

Symon survived past round one by the skin of his teeth. Unlike the freakin Yankees...


Recipe after the jump:

BRATWURST STEWED WITH SAUERKRAUT
Adapted from foodnetwork.com

Ingredients
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 pound fresh bratwurst links
1 onion, sliced finely
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups chicken stock
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp caraway seeds
2 cups sauerkraut, drained
2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
1 baguette or other bread

Preparation
In a large pan, heat oil over high heat. Brown bratwurst in oil and reduce heat to medium. Add onions and garlic and cook until lightly caramelized. Add stock, paprika, caraway seeds, and sauerkraut and simmer for 45 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in fresh dill. Serve on baguette. I served this with the homemade pretzels in the previous post.

1 comment:

~Molly~ said...

Oh my yum!! I can't wait til it is cool enough to eat this way!!! It is still in the mid-80s here, too hot for such heavy stuff. I might have to do the pretzels this weekend though, I've got a recipe(somewhere in a Cooking Light mag I think) for a mustard-beer dipping sauce. Sounds like a football game snack!