Monday, October 06, 2008

first soup of the fall



Chilly weather, my favorite. It's the season for soup! I broke in soup season with an appropriately hearty soup full of beans, greens, and winter squash.



I balanced the sweetness of delicata squash with the bitterness of broccoli rabe, and contrasted texture with cannellini beans. Sweet onions were the finishing touch, with fresh sage and a touch of nutmeg. And of course I threw in a rind from a wedge of parmiggiano-reggiano.



The flavors of fall, utterly healthy and hearty. Recipe after the jump:

PUMPKIN WHITE BEAN SOUP WITH BROCCOLI RABE
1 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, medium dice
4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
2 cups water
1 pound delicata or butternut squash, cut into 1-inch chunks (no need to remove peel)
1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 bunch broccoli rabe, chopped
6 fresh sage leaves, minced
1 chunk peeled ginger
1 tbsp dried marjorm
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 tsp ground nutmeg
rind from a wedge of good parmesan cheese
salt and pepper, to taste

In a large heavy stockpot, heat the oil on medium heat. Add the onions and a sprinkling of kosher salt and saute until just beginning to turn translucent. Add the squash and stir to coat with the oil. Add the stock and water, bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer. Add the ginger, herbs, spices, and wedge of cheese and continue to simmer until the squash is tender, about 10 minutes. Add the beans and broccoli rabe. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve topped with grated parmesan cheese and a chunk of crusty wholegrain bread.

4 comments:

Leah said...

GORgeous. I made the first soup of fall tonight too, a humble pea soup with toasted cheese sandwiches. I mean, I didn't have it, but I heard tell it was tasty...

faycat said...

I'll tell you a secret - I'm totally on a diet, too. Hence the complete lack of any delicious fattiness in this recipe. I'm trying to work on some genuinely healthy recipes so that I don't become a giant disappointment in the world of food bloggers...stay tuned, perhaps I'll come up with something you'll eat?

Leah said...

Oh no! It's a bit of torture, isn't it? Well, it looks like I can eat this soup, actually. So maybe I'll try it! It really looks good, and filling too.

faycat said...

It is absolutely torture, especially at my job!