Tuesday, October 14, 2008

it's fruit, and bread



And cheese, and caramelized onions, and brilliance.



When I told J-Cat that we were having fig sandwiches for dinner, he looked a little skeptical. Fruit in a sandwich? But, I assured him, the goat cheese was the key. The tangy salty goodness was the perfect balance for the honey-like figs. Plus, caramelized onions are good on ANYTHING. Really, anything. On some crusty mild sourdough bread from Amy's Bread, this sandwich was a revelation, it was the sandwich that had me daydreaming about opening my own awesome sandwich shop and coming up with other surprising and delicious combinations. Recipe after the jump:



FIG, GOAT CHEESE, AND CARAMELIZED ONION SANDWICHES
From MarthaStewart.com
Serves 4

2 tablespoons olive oil
3 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1/2 cup fresh goat cheese (3 1/2 ounces), room temperature
8 thick slices country bread
1/2 pound ripe fresh figs (about 8), stemmed and thinly sliced

1. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium. Add onions, and season with salt and pepper. Cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions have softened, 8 to 10 minutes. Uncover; cook until onions are golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes more (if skillet begins to darken, add cup water).
2. Dividing evenly, spread cheese on 4 bread slices. Top with onions and figs; sandwich with remaining bread.

5 comments:

Leah said...

One word: yes.

aprilbapryll said...

You're husband is a good man.

Mine is a good man too, but if I told him we were having fig sandwiches for dinner he'd stop and stare at me and say "No, really. What are we doing for dinner?" and I'd tell him again. And he'd think about it for a minute and start foraging in the pantry for Easy Mac.

Your husband is a good man. :) I want a fig sandwich.

faycat said...

When it comes to eating my food, yes he's a good man. Not quite my husband, but still very good ;)

PS. He had two sandwiches.

B said...

fruit sandwiches are awesome! try turkey and mango.

Maja said...

Yes, it didn´t sound good at first but I can imagine that it is with the goat cheese, I will try this one.