Tuesday, May 29, 2007

breakfast anytime

J-Cat was out of town on Friday night, and with hardly any food in the house, not liking to order delivery for one person, and not wanting to get back out of my pj's to go out and pick something up, I raided the pantry for my dinner. The result was random but satisfying: Fried Eggs and Buttermilk Biscuits



I had some buttermilk in the fridge from those blueberry pancakes last weekend, and after discovering that buttermilk doesn't go bad very quickly, I was inspired. I love biscuits, and admittedly could pretty much just eat a batch with nothing else. I did decide to fry a couple of eggs though, figuring that I could use a little protein. Recipe after the jump.

BUTTERMILK BISCUITS

Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons cold butter, cut in small pieces (Some people sub 2 tbsp shortening for half the butter to make a lighter biscuit. I am a little scared of shortening so I avoid it. I don't mind a slightly dense biscuit.)
1 cup buttermilk, chilled

Preparation
Preheat oven to 450ยบ. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the butter and use your fingertips to incorporate it into the dry ingredients. Don't overwork or you will melt the butter with your fingers. The mixture will look crumby. Make a well in the middle and pour in the buttermilk. Stir until just combined.

Turn dough onto a floured surface. Fold over onto itself 5 or 6 times, then pat into a 1-inch thick disk. With a 3-inch biscuit cutter, cut out biscuits and place on a baking sheet with edges just touching. Use the scraps to reform the dough and continue cutting until you've used all of the dough.



Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, until lightly brown on top. [You could brush the tops of the biscuits with melted butter before baking for a really nice surface, but I'm a little lazy and I'm going to put butter on my biscuits anyway]


No comments: