Friday, March 30, 2007

pet food updates: dry food dangerous?

There are some disturbing new developments in the ongoing pet food recall story that confirm my suspicions that the problem is much more serious than has been reported thus far. First off, the FDA is stating that the toxin they have found in the pet food is melamine, not aminopterin as was previously reported by an independent lab. Melamine is a chemical commonly used in plastics. I don't know if this means that the earlier findings of aminopterin were simply wrong, or if melamine toxicity is consistent with the symptoms of the sick pets. There doesn't seem to be much detail about this yet.

Perhaps more disturbing is the fact that the FDA is acknowledging that there is at least one dry-food manufacturing company that may have received wheat gluten from the same supplier as Menu Foods, yet they are refusing to reveal the name of this company at this time. They just want to add to our fury, apparently. As I've said earlier, I'm just not going anywhere near any foods containing wheat gluten at all. Based on what I've been reading on various blogs over the last couple of weeks, I'd stay away from Iams...

No comments: