Wednesday, April 04, 2007

molecular gastronomy, yum!

I've never eaten at a restaurant featuring so-called "molecular gastronomy", like WD-50 or davidburke & donatella. I guess the main barrier for me ever trying this kind of food is the price, but I will admit that I also don't really find it all that appealing. I find it fascinating, but that doesn't mean that I want to spend big bucks to eat it. The art of cooking has always been a science as well, and I definitely see the appeal of taking this idea further and experimenting with the strange things that science can bring to the creativity of cooking. But when a menu lists foam or air as food? I don't know, maybe I'm just not sophisticated enough to appreciate it, after all, my dining preference has always leaned much more toward the hole-in-the-wall-hearty-peasant-fare kind of thing than to the have-to-wear-a-jacket-tiny-portion-huge-plate kind of thing. That goes for what I like to cook as well. And though this dessert pictured on today's Gothamist interview of WD-50 pastry chef Alex Stupak is plated in such an artful and whimsical way that it made me smile, I can't really get past the fact that the orange-colored "rooibos air" looks exactly like the foamy bile that my cat horks up on a regular basis...

1 comment:

Leah said...

Faycat, this was a great post! I laughed out loud..."foamy bile" indeed. Alex and I recently went to Crave, where we were served steak with pale green foam...Alex has eaten food the world over, literally, and still the expression on his face--to see his darling hunk o' meat sullied with whimsical bile was just too much for him!